Monster Transmission - 4L60E broke 2x with 267 wheel hp-- $2772 total loss
I originally bought a 4L60e HD package [$1400 + $200 (tc) + $150 (fluid)]. I told them exactly what I had: lifted 4x4 Yukon with headers, intake, cam, & tune. Josh Mercado was my salesman. I installed this 12/2011. I broke this transmission in less than 4 months (3 year warrantee); I drove home in reverse.
They honored their warrantee; paid $361.50 to ship it back. Steve provided the inspection results “burnt clutch debri in pan & alumn piston broke - stuck over-run clutches on”. Since this one broke and I did not want to replace this ever again I asked them to rebuild it with the SS package which is claimed to support 650+ HP. Before making the purchase I specifically asked them on several phone calls if this newly upgraded transmission came with a new SS warrantee. The answer was yes but it only 30 days; I payed $660.50 (upgrade + new tc + fluid + shipping).
WARNING: The warranty displayed on their website it not the REAL warrantee; not all builds get the same one either.
I receive the new SS 4L60e on 4/9/12, installed it the next weekend. I broke the output shaft in a 3-4 upshift while merging on to the Florida Turnpike in 20 days. After a 2+ week run around from Josh Mercado impersonating various voices, I learned that the invoice that was sent to me did not have the warrantee box checked which meant I had none.
TOTAL SPENT: $2772
What should you do?
- Read jakesperformance.com & phoenixtrans.com; monster’s only upgrades soft parts. These guys upgrade hard parts to get the power number that monster claims.
- Don’t waste money on 4L60e; Buy a 4L80e.
- If you do buy one of these transmissions; keep your shifts nice and soft; don’t get eat my shifts!
What did I do? I bought a Jake's Stage 4 Transmission with a Billet Torque Converter ($4000+). Jake is an honest guy; he know’s how to do the work himself and is not afraid to make his own parts when the market doesn’t sell a quality part and he will talk to you.
TOTAL SPENT: $6772 (I did all the work on my back in the driveway)
More Review Details
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Auto Transmission
- Review category
You May Also Like
- "Iknow i got mine today my rack doesn't even fit! i followed instructions verywell because i wanna make sure before i drive my car with that thing on my roof..."
- "I purchased a 2013 Ford Flex at Price Ford in Port Angeles, WA and before I even had paid my first car payment, I had to have the car towed..."
- "I ordered and paid for a transmission from monster on 2/10, was told that they would keep me updated thru the build. Never heard from them until i asked for..."
- "We purchased a beautiful French Brittany from them 4 years ago. We live in Florida so they flew her to Miami. She has been very healthy except for a few..."
- "ORDERED WHITE STONE TABLES AS PICTURED ON THEIR SITE. FIRST AND FOREMOST THEIR DELIVERY SERVICE IN MY AREA REALLY SUCKS. A DELIVERY COMPANY THAT ONLY AT BEST IS IN MY..."
- "ACHTUNG / BEWARE: On 9/29/16, I ordered a rifle from Bud's Gun Shop. The gun I ordered was supposed to be brand new (Century Arms vz2008 model). A week or..."
- "Great partner and company, design build and operate super concepts. Genius Was ecstatic to work on E_P with mr keyes. It started my career..."
- "I ordered a Nikon D610 Camera Body w/ accessories bundle this week. I received the item and it came in a box with absolutely ZERO bubble wrap and all of..."
- "My Sister from AL Khor Qatar sent me money via trans fast worth P 20,223.35 which I received it at mlhuilier just only P 20,098.00. Where's the remaining P 125.35?..."